Friday 1 April 2011

..and rigged...

Got to love these new lighter evenings as a result of the clocks going back in the UK...

I grabbed a couple of hours on Sunday to rig the sails, but didn't manage to get it finished due to family pressures (they were sitting at the edge of the sea shore opposite me, shouting that they were cold and wanted to go for a curry - how could I refuse!)

Happily on Monday there was still tide, and a quick trip home after work allowed me a couple of hours on the water in the evening to finish off the job... boom is now re-attached, and jib is back on the roller...

As they used to say in the old days - she's in all respects ready for sea.... which hopefully will be tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday, depending on weather..

Separately - I've had a birthday recently and purposefully asked for money as I wanted to spend it on a new hand-held VHF. After the dis-masting last year it became abundantly clear to me that no aerial (which was on top of the mast pointing at the sea bed at the time) meant no radio, I got lucky in that it was very busy and someone else relayed the call for me.. the hand-held is therefore my safety net. I'm going for a Standard Horizon 280-E this weekend - any money left over will be put towards something frivolous, either some deckies or a sail bag for carrying gear to and from the boat... more later....

Lastly, and on a more unhappier note, we had a communication from the sailing club this week that one of the members boats was broken into the other day while it was on its mooring (possibly when the tide was out)... they broke in, trashed the interior, stole anything worthwhile, set off the fire extinguishers and then set the boat adrift.... worrying times, and your heart has to go out to the owner who spent all winter getting her ready, and was probably looking forward to a new season's sailing as much as I am..... I'd be gutted

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve, glad you are back on the water. I am some way off and not been able to get much done at all over past few months having to change jobs and generally busy at home. Mindless vandalism really gets my goat. Sometimes it is probably better to have a tatty old boat that nobody takes a second look at but really upsetting I know like you I would be gutted to. Andy

    ReplyDelete