Monday 9 May 2011

Soldiers wind & shear pins...

Just a short jaunt today - first time on the water since the events described previously, still windy but I was going stir crazy so having put the jib back up I decided to go for a jib only drift down the channel...



Wind was just west of southerly, but some nasty gusts coming through made the decision worthwhile - she's a handful with the big one up as well! free smileys What was interesting was how well she handled under just jib... tacking was no problem though a trifle light on the helm...

Also a success was the new ships stereo... also known as battery powered speakers for my MP3 player. Nothing like it, drifting along in the sunshine, Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the Seventies on the radio, BLT in hand...

It all had to come to an end of course... as I was on my way back to the mooring the wind shifted slightly so I decided to put the engine on for the final approach... in my hurry I started it in gear, and with a fair few rev's I managed to shear the pin that holds the propeller fixed to the shaft (or rather as I subsequently found out - didn't have a clue at the time!)... if I knew what I know now, I could have fixed it there and then, but at the time, with no engine, I decided to sail back as the wind had moved back slightly...

Had to cut the corner on the way back, but I'm slightly proud to say that I did it first time (and thanks to a fellow club member in his tender who followed me in, in the event of any issues)! free smileys

Distance: 3.2 miles (cumulative total over there to the left - again, it hardly seems worthwhile adding this!)

Wind: SSW - Force 4 (and gusting).. Maximum speed 2.2 knots (no motor so that was under sail!), average speed 2 knots...

Postscript: Took the engine into Home Marine this morning and Bill identified the problem immediately - I'm a total mechanics dullard and wouldn't have had a clue where to start looking - I had an idea that maybe the gear rod inside the leg had slipped (which can happen) but the give away was the propeller turning easily even when the engine was in gear - took the nut and slit pin off, slipped off the propeller, tapped out the remains of the sheer pin, replaced it and put it all back together again - jobs a good'un... five minutes tops, and no charge... outstanding service!

0 comments:

Post a Comment