Monday 14 November 2011

Tender.....

With the weather still not slowing down on the sun and warmth front, I thought I'd take the opportunity to get the first coat of paint in the tender this weekend... the instructions on the paint said it would only dry if it was over 10'C and it isn't going to be like that for very much longer, and I really couldn't be fagged to put my back out getting it on top of the car in order to paint it at home...

She looks a right state at the moment - partially on purpose - I take the view that the tattier she looks the more unlikely she is to be purloined, but I draw the line at raw GRP as it needs to be protected..

Having taken advice I decided to go with garage floor paint for the inner surfaces - it's known to be very hard wearing , and it's also resistant to water, oil and all the other nasty's that have a tendency to be tramped through the dinghy during the summer..

Told you she looked a bit rough!


First coat is now on... still wet, hence the shine, second coat hopefully this weekend...


Progress is always good... separately, I've ordered a 12v stereo amplifier this weekend...

...which will form the basis of a more permanent stereo system for Papillon - the battery powered speakers are OK but they're a bit tiny/weak, and they chew up AAA's...



I love music when sailing so this will be the basis of a more powerful system (and no it doesn't mean drum and bass in Chichester Harbour on a Sunday afternoon!) - I'll post further at fitting time, but they sell these for motorbikes and the like, and she's costing less than £10 (and that includes postage from Hong Kong!) so it has to be a worthwhile experiment...

...I'm also hopeful that I may be on to a tiller extension - time will tell....

Jobs update:

2. Repaint inside of tender.. First coat on - one more to go..
6. Amplifier/speakers to play the MP3 player through Amplifier ordered...
8. Tiller extension On to something - fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. Good choice of paint I used B&Q floor paint on the floor or a plywood dinghy I built 10 years ago, straight on no primer 3 or 4 coats I don't remember but it's still good today

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..it was the "diamond hard" bit I liked, I'll keep rolling it on until I empty the tin.... much as I don't want to make her pristine I may also do something for the woodwork - it's a fine line between "tatty" and falling apart... :o)

    ReplyDelete