Wednesday 19 September 2012

Delivery Trip... Redux!

...I should have called this post "what goes round comes round"... or even "I'm sure I've seen that castle before"... 

Rod and I bought his boat Ami-Ly back round from Port Solent to Northney, this weekend just gone, to finish the repair job that he was half way through when we took her round to Port Solent a couple of weeks ago...

Not as pleasant a sail as last time by any measure - summer is coming to a close, and it was grey and overcast, and when not on the run, not a little chilly...

Either way, at 0830 Rod picked me up from  Northney where I was to leave my car, and 45 minutes later we were on Ami-Ly waiting to lock out of Port Solent...   she's beginning to feel like a second home...

Light winds dominated, but this did give us an option to fly the cruising chute - mucking huge, but a visible increase in speed while we flew it - you need to prepare for flying it though and there's al;ways a lingering sense of dread that all is going to go to rat sh*t any minute! I would love one for Pap if I could find the right sized sail second hand, I have a backstay to support the mast so could fly it from the mast head if I wanted to. Having said that, both Rod and I think that Ami-Ly's sail (which was also second hand/off the shelf) is probably a cut down spinnaker rather than a proper asymmetric cruising chute...

We ended the trip with a lovely tight reach up the harbour, before dropping the washing and mooring up on the overnight pontoon in the Emsworth Channel - this is my first time there (second first of the day), but this was also Rod's first time since they replaced the pontoons - they're very smart - no power/water, but an all water mooring, and cheap...  the surface of the pontoon is rough though, high friction....

Emsworth waiting pontoon - Emsworth Channel

We then transferred me to Northney via Rod's little rib - far cheaper on the waiting pontoon than putting her in Northney for the night....  



Scores on the doors:

  • 18.96  miles (overall mileage in the page at the top)
  • Average 3.4  knots
  • Max speed 5.4knots (but both Rod and I saw 6 a few times - especially on the close reach up the harbour to the pontoon)
  • 4 hour 52 mins door to pontoon
  • Force 2, gusting 3 - SW - full rig, including cruising chute...
So what was going on here then.... answer next post if I remember.. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment