Monday 3 October 2011

Emsworth Beacon amble..

"Amble" indeed in the winds we had on Sunday... couple that with the hottest October weekend since records began, a huge spring tide, and it was "fairly busy" in Chichester Harbour with not a lot of people except the dinghy's going anywhere fast!

Lovely to get out but but it really was only for the pleasure of being on the boat... I spent about two hours trying to get out of the entrance to Northney Channel, every inch I made forward I lost when I tacked back across the channel and was swept back towards the bridge... never mind... we'll dream of days like that all through the winter....

So here's the track - laugh if you will at the tacks...


It was quite good fun near Emsworth Beacon as there were some big dinghy fleets racing - not surprisingly one of the Lasers got into a conversation with me about the fact "he was racing" - he got short shrift (I was on starboard) but we ended up laughing about it - he was doing well in a light and fitful breeze and told me he was second...  hope he managed to keep the place!

Distance: 6.16 miles (cumulative total in the tab at the top of the page)
Wind: S - Force 2 (gusting 1...)!
Speed: Max speed was 4.7 knots which was definitely under engine, average speed was 2.1 knots....  ambling in spades I'd say....

========================================

In separate news, my club is running the RYA Yacht-master Theory course this winter and after having a quiet word with the instructor he tells me that in his opinion I shouldn't have any problems with it - he taught me on the day Skipper Theory class last winter so he should know...

Anyway, I'm now signed up for it, the course lasts 18 weeks (one evening a week), but it's good to have something sailing orientated to occupy myself through the coming winter..... I'm looking forward to it..

3 comments:

  1. "we'll dream of days like that all through the winter...."

    Certainly will, and that's just the ability to use the engine :~)

    I will free up some time soon for a beer and a chinwag... Last time we had a beer we were planning an early season meet up in Bembridge... Erm, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on signing up for your YM Steve! - you should of motored out of the harbour sunday, was blowing a huge F3 hehe - had one of best days ever back from Portsmouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil - be good to see you... can't believe you're STILL having engine problems! :o)

    Graham - ha - may have felt like a force 3 with the tide, more like... Chimet shows the average for the afternoon as top end 2.... trust me the way that tide was running in the harbour I was NEVER going to get to the harbour entrance and get back to my mooring before the mud magically appears!

    ReplyDelete