Monday 11 April 2011

Sunny afternoon... tack, tack, tack....

A lovely weekend in the UK, hottest temperatures year to date, but the tides were late so I only managed a short sail late'ish on Sunday afternoon...

Slipped the mooring at about 15:00, after filling the outboard*, and drifted off down the channel past Northney Marina. Lovely and sunny, but not much wind on the run...

Got to the end of the channel however and the wind shifted over 90' - guess it must have been sea breeze filling in, but either way I went from broad reaching to close hauled, and then seemed to stay that way for the rest of the afternoon as you can see from the track....!


This is what I laughingly call the instrument panel..

Distance: 7.24 miles (cumulative total over there to the left)
Wind: SSW - Force 1 or 2, going to SSE half way through the afternoon...
Maximum speed 5 knots (under motor but I saw a few 2.5's under sail), average speed 2.3 knots...

* My outboard dates from 1990 so she's not a spring chicken, and when I had her serviced earlier this year the mechanic told me that he'd had to do some welding on the petrol tank as there were some corrosion-caused holes. He warned me that it might not be completely fixed, and it seems he was right as she is leaking from somewhere I can't see.. In those days they made the tanks from mild steel so I think after 21 years I should expect it... the alternative is just to convert her for an external fuel tank, but last week I got luck on eBay and found a spare replacement tank at an outboard breakers in Wales for less than £30... fingers crossed it will keep her going for another 20 years....

..and just to finish off..



0 comments:

Post a Comment