Sunday 8 April 2012

...and we're in!

...

So 06'sparrow f*rt yesterday (7th) found me heading for the sailing club for my appointment with the launching hoist... high tide was 12:45 up my way so I wasn't 100% sure why I needed to be there so early but all became clear once I got to the club and saw the list of boats that were also due to go in that day... at least 15 to 20 of them...

We use a hoist like this...
I was really lucky, and at dead low water they put me down the bottom of the slip first..  no incidents, and ten minutes after I arrived Pap was safely placed on the shingle, next to low water line... just three or four hours to wait for water, but I'd be first off...

Over the next 20 minutes two other sub 20 footers were also brought down  and placed alongside me, they then started bringing down progressively bigger boats and placing them between me and the shore ... the kettles were on, people were nervously getting warps ready for mooring (or towing in case engines wouldn't start!), bit of idle chat, but mostly just sit and watch the tide come in...

Me? I started the kettle and had a play getting the plotter going!

Before I knew it Pap started to shift slightly.. I could feel lateral movement when I moved - she was beginning to float...  plotter was working a treat, time to start the engine...  she started up sweet as a nut, and having warmed her up I put her into idle and engaged reverse gear - I figured a gentle backward pull would pull her off when she was ready, and less than 5 minutes later she did exactly that...  best launch I've had in four years of putting her back in the water!

Now this must have been about 10'ish still way before high tide and I was a bit worried that there wouldn't be enough water to get on the mooring...  no worries there, plenty of water on the new mooring even this early...   the very high spring undoubtedly helped...  fantastic to be back on the water again, under the bridge, motor pulling well, on the mooring 10 minutes later....

Having tied up I then decided the time was opportune to put the mast up (!) - moved the mast backwards still in the crutch at the back of the cockpit, re-bolted the mast foot to the deck fitting, checked the A frame was still secure and set up the jib halyard and main sheet to provide the attachment points... one more check of the stays to make sure they weren't caught on anything, and moved the front of the boat to start pulling her up ...  five minutes later it was up and the forestay attached...  amazing...  and on my own....chuffed to nuts doesn't come close... very pleased!

Tidied up, checked for water ingress (none), checked in with a mate on the mooring next to mine to see if he wanted to put his mast up (no), and ten minutes later I flagged down a club launch and headed for home...  back by12...

Still amazed at how well it went...*

Apologies for the lack of photo's, the camera battery was flat when I got it out (it wasn't b.t.w - just in the camera back to front!)

Addendum...  when I got back to shore they were beginning to shift the really big boats...  the biggest boat in the club is a Bavaria 38 footer - fin keel - sure is a sight to see a 9 ton boat being lifted on a 10 ton hoist... it would scare me to death.... amazing to think that everyone manning the tractor and hoist are all club members - they don't do it for a living - absolutely amazing job done by all...

* Just in case you think it all went perfectly, when I got home I couldn't find my boat keys...  hunted high and low and was forced to the conclusion I'd left them on the boat....  so back to the club, cadged a lift, and sure enough there they were...  sat on the cabin roof.... still in the padlock...  

2 comments:

  1. Faaantastic. With the mast now so easy to lower and raise, does this give you the opportunity to shoot the bridge and if so does that give you quicker access to the Solent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure was... never had such a trouble free launch... absolutely gob smacked....

    So your question is a good one and I have to admit is one I've thought about a couple of times over the winter...

    Short answer is yes - but although it's fairly easy to do, it's still fairly fraught..... with a tabernacle I wouldn't think twice about it... so it's do-able, but a bit of a pain as I'd have to bring the A frame & mast crutch out on the tender... and I reckon by the time I've dropped and raised the mast it only saves me an hour'ish???

    ReplyDelete