Monday 20 August 2012

...making progress...

...or two steps forward and one step back... 

...I've sourced someone who can re-build the mast foot and have delivered it to them - he's called and said it will be £40'ish which is cheaper than a new one. He also reckons it'll be ready by tomorrow/Wednesday (22nd)....

...just spoken to the Chandlery and they're hoping to get the glass fibre'ing done this week as well - I'm dropping off keys tomorrow morning so will know more then...

...and one step back?  Well when I dropped the mast, it looks like the mast head light finally gave up the ghost and dispatched the top half of itself to the depths (that's everything in the picture from the black collar half way up to the top - so also the red/green bit).

It was very old, the lens's were brittle/crazed, and there was a crack in the bottom held together with amalgamating tape - it owed me nothing so I'll replace it while the mast is down with a plain straight forward anchor light...  my boat has separate navigation lights so it was always a little over the top....

Unfortunately the windex lived on top of the light, so that went as well...  and again - I was having problems with that this year as well so maybe someone was giving me a hint...  I'll replace it, but I'm in two minds at the moment whether to just get a windex on it's own, or get the VHF aerial/windex combination and kill two birds with one stone...

I'll sleep on it...

Three day weekend this weekend in the UK - I'm going to use some of the time to fit the light/windex, and some of the time to do some fettling in the cabin. I feel the need to take down one of the ceiling panels and re-fix the foam lining....while it's down I'll also clean and prep the surface behind the VHF for some paint...

1 comment:

  1. you could drop over to Bursledon regatta on saturday afternoon
    http://bursledonregatta.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete