Monday 21 May 2012

More wind, more grey...

On the premise that any sailing is better than no sailing, and any weather without rain is better than weather with rain, I took Thermos in hand and headed out for a perambulate on Sunday...

4 knots and just short of "Marker" - the Chichester'ites will know exactly where I was! The thermos had already taken a hammering by this point, but the storage box is worth its weight in gold...

...to be honest, my low expectations of the weather were fully met - but for all that I still enjoyed myself in some fairly boisterous conditions, and in the end was out for about 3 hours....

Very busy day in the harbour - looked like both Emsworth and Hayling sailing clubs had major races on - the Emsworth one in particular involved a course laid right across the freeway, and about 30 or 40 Toppers or Laser Pico's all going for it hammer and tongs....  looked like brilliant fun, but difficult for those trying to get from top of harbour to bottom!

This was a lovely little thing - entire family out - all that sail and no heeling - very seaworthy...
This was my first time out with the Netbook to see how useful the plotting function is - mixed results I think it safe to say - software/GPS worked like a dream but the reflected glare makes it difficult to see the screen in it's current position - will have to figure out some way of shielding the screen, because on a bright day you'll have no chance...

Lovely run down the harbour - goosewinged at one time - always an awkward point of sailing when your running practically dead downwind, and sure enough when I went to roll in the jib the damn halyard had dropped off the drum due to the jib flapping - soon sorted though, and then a very quick trip...when I got to Fishery and turned to come back up the harbour I figured out why - it was blowing a right old hooligan....!

The Moth's were out again from HISC - even more of them this year, think I saw at least half a dozen - definitely saw this guy as I noticed the colourful markings on his sail - apparently he's Simon Payne UK National, six time European and three time World Championship Moth Sailor... they look just so much fun... 

I'd put one reef in the main before I left - should have made it two, the same as last week but it didn't seem as windy - so to compensate I also rolled in some jib and with that we managed to make some progress......  as I said, conditions were "boisterous"...



...what was going on 'ere then???


...practising my heaving to - that's what!

Scores on the doors....

Distance: 10.17 miles (cumulative total in the 2012 mileage tab at the top of the page)
Wind: N to NNE - cold - Force 4, gusting top end 5 at times
Sail Plan: Single reefed main, couple of rolls in the jib..
Speed: GPS says max speed was 4.8 knots, with an average speed of 2.9 knots....  lots of beating to get back up the harbour - squeezing the angles and against tide I was only seeing a couple of knots at times, so no surprises.....

...and to finish off - first time this year both for video and goosewinging...


0 comments:

Post a Comment